Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Glorious Words

Some words are more glorious depending on the stage of your life. When you have a toddler toilet-training, "Mom! I have to poop!" are the greatest words you have ever heard. We have tried off and on over the last 6 months, but we never had consistent success and between being pregnant and having a newborn, I didn't have it in me to keep pushing. But now that he's 3, I decided it was time ... and I remembered something that had worked with Benjamin. We decided on a day (Grayson and I) and starting on that day there would be no more diapers. We picked a Monday (only a week away) and all that week when you asked him what happens on Monday, he would respond, "NO MORE DIAPERS!"
Monday came and away went the diapers and on went the underwear. That was 10 days ago and I think we can classify him as toilet-trained. We had 2 major accidents in the first 6 days, but there were several days he had no accidents, and he's been accident free for 4 days now. Even when we go out he wears underwear and he is great about telling me when he needs to go. He's made it through church, being at a friend's house (without me) and running errands all over town. He even stays dry for his naps, but we are keeping the diapers for overnight right now.
Needless to say, we are very excited to have reached this stage with Grayson. The process of toilet-training is a part of motherhood that I REALLY dislike ... but the success is awesome! Three boys down ... one to go. Thank goodness I have a couple of years before I have to tackle that one. Here is a picture of Grayson at Cold Stone. We decided to go out and celebrate Grayson's success last Friday night by getting some ice cream. He thought it was a great idea!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

la famiglia said...

So cute! He looks so proud of himself and he definitely should be. Sofia is just 16 months old and I'm already starting to think about (and slightly dread) toilet training.

Lindsay said...

Grayson is 3? We live too far away. I can hardly believe he's 3.

Congratulations on his/your success. That's a big deal.